Picture Source: Movia
Whether you’re commuting by car, bus or train, or just taking a stroll on the streets enjoying your morning coffee, you might watch the world- and mobile billboards- go by.
Some mobile billboards can be pretty entertaining. According to the latest research in 2023, a remarkable 49% of adult consumers now notice billboards more than they did just a year ago.
People are always on the move, and brands have found a way to capitalize on that. With the help of mobile billboards, brands now have a powerful marketing asset at their disposal that is capable of helping them work across all levels of the conversion funnel- from consideration, re-engagement and conversion.
You might not be the only one to wonder what exactly are mobile billboards, and how is it bound to revolutionize the marketing game.
As we venture deeper, we’ll reveal the fascinating statistics that prove their effectiveness in the overall billboarding advertising industry. While some critics once considered billboard advertising a dated strategy, the rise of mobile billboards presents a fresh perspective, turning heads and capturing hearts as they roll by.
Let us jump right in.
What is mobile billboard advertising?
Mobile billboard advertising, also known as mobile outdoor advertising or mobile advertising trucks, refers to the use of vehicles, typically trucks or trailers, transformed into moving billboards by displaying large, attention-grabbing graphics, messages, and visuals. These mobile billboard trucks travel through high-traffic areas, targeting specific demographics and reaching audiences directly and in this way boosting the awareness of the brand being advertised.
A mobile billboard is like having a regular billboard, but with wheels. It involves transforming vehicles into attention-grabbing moving billboards, displaying large graphics and messages that capture the eyes of pedestrians and drivers alike. It’s like taking the show on the road and ensuring your brand gets noticed wherever it goes.
For brands, it’s always a question of which seems to be the best-performing place to advertise. While campaign budget is a factor one can’t ignore, so is this ROI brands look to maximize. And Sometimes OOH prevails as the leading tactics brand opts for. In recent times, truck ads have positively influenced customer recall rates, in addition to digital billboards and wallscape advertisements.
Billboard Advertising Statistics
If you’re wondering if do people even notice outdoor advertising billboards anymore?
You might be surprised to know that 82%of viewers said to remember a DOOH (digital out-of-home) ad they encountered a month ago.
In a delightful twist of fate, the 2022 Statista data unveils that 32% of respondents give a thumbs-up to billboards, with 9% of them crushing on them big time. In contrast, a separate Statista survey revealed that 41% of social users find online ads as annoying.
And according to research from OOH Today, out-of-home ads demonstrate significantly greater recall among consumers, in comparison to:
- Live & streaming television
- Online ads
- Podcasts & Radio
- Print ads
Image Source: Solomon Partners
How many people are noticing billboard advertising?
According to these astounding figures, quite a lot. This might reaffirm the fact that top brands are redefining their strategies to capture the attention of their target audience with OOH advertising.
A reason enough why brands are fearlessly incorporating the OOH across many avenues, ranging from truck ads to digital static billboards.
According to the Out of Home Advertising Association of America, in 2021, a staggering 79% of the top 100 advertisers were seen to have surged their OOH spending. But what’s more astounding is that 32% of these brands went a step further, doubling their investment. Of those, 27% of the advertisers belong to the technology or D2C (Direct-to-Consumer) brands.
The United States currently boasts a vast network of 350,000 billboards, with an impressive 9,600 of them embracing the digital revolution. As these dynamic displays captivate audiences with their vibrant and engaging content, consumers respond in awe-inspiring ways. According to illuminating Statista research from 2020, a remarkable 35% of respondents take immediate action, visiting websites or conducting online searches after being inspired by digital billboard ads. Additionally, 20% of these intrigued viewers recommend the showcased product or brand to others.
Image Source: Pinterest
Adding to the intrigue, a 2023 Azoth Analytics report reveals that the global digital billboards market proudly boasted a staggering worth of over $18.5 billion in the year 2021. The report also forecasts a remarkable 7% growth in the coming five years, amounting to an astounding increase of over $1.2 billion dollars of investment in digital-out-of-home billboards.
Image Source: Movia
How Much Does a Mobile Billboard Cost?
Mobile billboard costs can differ significantly based on multiple factors such as vehicle type, billboard size, campaign duration, and location. Here are key considerations for mobile billboard rates:
- Standard Campaign Estimate: A typical mobile billboard campaign could range from $500 to $5,000 per week.
- Cost per View: On average, the cost is about $0.77 per 1000 views, with the lower average being $0.48 per 1000 views.
- Design and Truck Pair Cost: For billboards on both sides of the truck, design creation may cost anywhere between $1,200-$1,600. Renting this type of billboard truck could be around $500-800 daily.
- Outright Purchase Costs: Purchasing a static billboard on a truck outright starts at about $24,000, while digital billboards begin at an average of $100,000.
- Rental Duration: Truck billboards are typically rented per hour, typically 8-10 hours per day.
- Additional Costs: Keep in mind there might be extra expenses for design and production, fuel, and vehicle-related expenditures.
Types of Mobile Billboards
Discover the diverse world of OOH powerhouses, designed to captivate and drive action! Let’s explore the most effective mobile billboard types and their unique advantages:
1. Truckside Promotion: These billboards, mounted on trucks hauling unrelated commodities, offer two to three sides of advertising brilliance. Their eye-catching presence on the move demands attention and ensures your message reaches a wide audience.
2. Wrapped Vehicles: Picture this: your product or service showcased on the outside of smaller vehicles, fully or partially wrapped in vinyl sheets. Witness your brand roam the city streets, leaving a lasting impression on bustling crowds and direct travel routes.
Image Source: Movia
3. Mobile Digital Billboards: Say hello to the future of outdoor advertising! Packed with cutting-edge technology, these billboards display still ads or brief commercials, updated frequently to capture onlookers’ attention. With LED illumination and TV screens, they shine in crowded areas like sports events, fairs, and tourist hotspots.
Image Source: American Guerilla Marketing
Pros of Mobile Billboards:
1. Enhanced Visibility: Truck billboards are hard to miss as they traverse through high-traffic areas, attracting the attention of pedestrians and drivers alike. Their ability to move to strategic locations ensures maximum exposure to diverse audiences.
2. Targeted Advertising: With these on-the-wheel billboards, you have the flexibility to reach specific demographics and target audiences at specific events, festivals, or tourist hotspots. This allows for a more precise and efficient advertising campaign.
3. High Impact and Creativity: They offer ample space for creativity, enabling advertisers to design captivating visuals and engaging messages. They are perfect for showcasing vivid graphics, animations, and videos that leave a lasting impression on viewers. One of the key benefits of a mobile billboard advertisement.
4. Real-Time Updates: Unlike traditional static billboards, these dynamic ads can be updated frequently and in real-time. This means you can adapt your message or promotions as needed, keeping your advertising content fresh and relevant.
5. Cost-Effective Option: They often provide better ROI compared to other advertising channels. They offer extensive exposure at a reasonable cost, making them an attractive choice for businesses with budget constraints.
Cons of Mobile Billboards
1. Message Reception: Drivers and pedestrians may not always be receptive to advertisements while on the road or busy with their daily routines. This could lead to a lower retention rate of the message displayed.
2. Seasonal and Regional Limitations: Certain types of businesses may find these kinds of outdoor billboards less effective during specific seasons or in certain regions. For example, advertising winter sports equipment in a tropical climate might not yield significant results.
3. Weather and Traffic Conditions: Weather conditions can impact effectiveness also, as heavy rain or snow may hinder visibility. Additionally, traffic jams can affect the number of people who see the ad during peak hours.
4. Regulatory Restrictions: Some cities and regions have specific regulations regarding mobile billboards, including permitted routes, parking, and operational hours. Advertisers must navigate these rules to ensure compliance.
5. Limited Exposure Time: While these billboards are eye-catching, they only have a brief moment to capture the attention of viewers as they pass by. This limited exposure time may not allow for detailed or lengthy messages.
This limited exposure makes it critical to design the truck ads in a way that engages the audience instantly but also creates sufficient brand recall.
Billboard Design Tips and Examples
It’s essential that your truck ads are impactful and memorable. Here are some mobile billboard tips and examples to help you design an unforgettable advertisement that leaves a lasting impact on your audience.
Image Source: Pinterest
Compelling billboards take viewers on an unforgettable journey. Instead of lengthy text, focus on showcasing the essence of your idea or campaign through captivating imagery. Drivers often have limited time to read, so let your visuals tell the story.
Unleash the Power of Storytelling
Image Source: Pinterest
Keep it Simple and Eye-catching
Drivers or passersby only have a few seconds to get a glimpse at your mobile billboard. Keeping your billboard design pleasing to the eye and not cluttering it with so many words would ensure it catches the eye of the highest number of passersby and viewers.
Use big, bold fonts against contrasting background colours and avoid narrow, script fonts. Also, choose colours that stand out to viewers.
Image Source: Movia Media
Take a cue from the above Tim Horton’s ad above we at Movia did. It features a stunning image of their signature coffee, as they proudly show off their positioning in the heart of Canadians highly. This kind of billboard engages the audience by re-establishing an emotional bond through visuals and bold & captivating text.
Consider the location
Before you run your truck campaigns across neighbourhoods and cities, you would want to conduct some research regarding where you can ideally find your target audience the most.
Will they be around malls or parks? In downtown regions or somewhere else. Understanding the local traffic patterns and peak hours will also play a vital role in strategizing your truck’s routes. By being in the right place at the right time, your mobile billboard can make a significant impact on your audience.
Following this approach, we helped Tractor generate over 125 million impressions with our trucks, and an additional 1.9 million digital impressions online by retargeting their core audience across key neighbourhoods. To know more about how we helped Tractor achieve its marketing goals, you can check out the case study in the video below.
Mobile Billboard Advertising: The Marketing You Never Knew You Needed
Mobile Billboard advertising might not be your typical marketing strategy. But it will get your brand definitive results.
Recent years have seen a good return on investment from Ads on Wheels, making it an efficient marketing strategy. The fast popularity of truck advertising and the development of technology make it clear that this kind of advertising will last for a very long time.
And, who knows? Someone may look out the window during their next commute and see your billboard — and become a new customer.
It is advised that you use a truck advertising agency as the first step in order to help you contact your target audience and carry out the most effective marketing strategy for your sector.
If you’d like to take over neighbourhoods or metropolitan cities with killer great OOH ads, Movia can help you achieve that easily. Feel free to connect with our team to discuss more about your needs and get the right recommendations.